This is one of those dishes that remind me of home. My dad introduced me to this method of cooking chicken. I always loved when he did it because it was so moist and tasty.
Now, my husband does it by my request. He does it just as perfect as I remember it. It is really hard to mess up as it really does everything for you with the butter injected and slow cooking on the grill.
You have to have a grill for this, and a beer can holder for your chicken. You don't technically have to use beer. We've used almost anything that comes in a can! Most of the time we find we may have a soda, so we do that. You have to empty half of the can out before you sit it on the holder.
Also, you want to put a potato in the neck (or try whatever you may have, this time we used a pear!). This will lock in the moisture, and the chicken will have no choice but to be juicy!
- Zatarain's injectable butter
- Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning
- Place some of the butter mixture in a bowl (you don't want to put the needle in the chicken and then dirty the container)
- Prepare the chicken (take out innards)
- Empty half of the beer can, or whatever can of choice
- Place the can on the can holder
- Sit the chicken on top
- Inject the chicken with the injectable butter
- Cover the chicken with slap ya mama seasoning
- Place potato in the neck hole area of chicken
- Heat up the grill (We have 6 burners, we heat up the right 3)
- Place the chicken on the left side of the grill so it will cook at indirect heat
- Target temp is 375-400
- 5lb bird takes about 2 hours
- Target internal temp of the chicken is 190 (in the thigh)