This is a touchy subject. Almost like Red Beans and Jambalaya is down here... Everyone has an opinion on how to batter their seafood. This is my happy mix. If you ask my dad it's wrong. It should be flour for him. My husband flip flops between this one and Louisiana fish fry.
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
Now, first thing you always do with an oyster is taste it. You have to make sure the oyster hasn't been sitting in super salty water. If you season them without tasting, you may end up with a oyster thats too salty to even eat.
- Place your oysters in a strainer
- Pour tabasco sauce all over them
- Sprinkle slap ya mama seasoning all over them
- Take a few at a time and place them in the batter mix
- Place them in oil set on about 365
- I like to "flash" fry mine, this makes them crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside
- Fry for a few minutes until just crispy and take them out
- Put them on a plate with paper towels to dry the oil off