Pecan Cinnamon Muffins
I really really love a good muffin for breakfast. Mostly because it's just a simple breakfast. This one has pecans and swirls of cinnamon sugar in it. It is not a very sweet muffin, which makes for a balanced breakfast.
- 2.5 cups AP flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 425. Line your muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk.
- In a mixer bowl, add butter and brown sugar and mix on medium speed until fluffy- about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat well after each addition.
- Add flour and buttermilk, alternate the two. Begin and end with flour.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups, halfway.
- Put about 1-2 tsp of sugar topping, and then fill the muffin cups the rest of the way with batter, adding sugar topping on top. (Tip: I use "regular" size muffin tins when I make this. I usually add 1 tsp of the sugar topping in the middle because I don't want a really sweet muffin for breakfast. However, 2 tsp will yield a really delicious muffin as well, just a little sweeter)
- Swirl the mixtures together with a pick and sprinkle the sugar topping on top
- Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce oven temp to 350. Cook for another 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.