stuffed bell peppers
This is a Southern classic that I loved having growing up and now my children enjoy it as well.
Normally, you see people stuffing the entire bell pepper whereas I like to split mine in half.
My kids (and honestly myself) don't enjoy having a big part of the bell pepper.
So, if you want to keep it whole, you most certainly can!
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 3 large green bell peppers (reserve tops to chop off excess)
- 1 cup rice
- 24 oz marinara (preferable a datterini style one)
- 1.5-2lbs ground beef
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Parmesan for topping
- Chop the tops off of bell peppers and set aside
- Clean out the insides of the bell peppers and remove seeds
- Slice them in half, longways
- Make meat mixture:
- 1 cup of marinara
- Add beef
- 1/2 cup bell peppers (from tops)
- Add onion and all seasonings
- Stuff the bell peppers
- Add mixture to each bell pepper and pack it in
- Place enough marinara to cover the bottom of a dutch oven
- Add each bell pepper to the pot
- Top each bell pepper with the rest of the marinara sauce
- Cook for 1 hour on 350
- Sprinkle parmesan on top and let melt