Brined Oven Roasted Chicken
I have gone through many chickens trying to find the best way to make the perfect oven baked chicken.
Simply put, there is no better way than soaking your chicken in a brine. Does it take time? Oh yes! Does it take a little more work? You bet. Is it worth it? A billion percent, y'all!
The results are tasty meat that is so super juicy. You know those baked whole chickens where you think you seasoned your chicken and you wonder where did all that seasoning go? It's only on the skin and the meat taste so bland. I promise, this won't disappoint.
A perfect Sunday Supper.
- 1 whole chicken, about 4.5-5lbs
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1tsp black pepper
- 10 cloves of garlic, more/less to taste
- 1tbsp ground thyme
- 1tbsp lemon pepper
- 3tbsp butter
- fresh ground black pepper
- Prepare your brine. Bring about 2 cups of water to a boil and add your salt and sugar to dissolve.
- Add the black pepper, garlic, thyme (you can use a couple fresh sprigs if you have some available), and lemon pepper
- Place in a container large enough to hold the chicken and to fill it with water to cover it
- Let your mixture cool and place your chicken in the brine. Add more water so it covers your chicken. I normally find that a 4qt container is perfect.
- Let is soak OVERNIGHT! That's right. I told ya, it takes time.
- Take your chicken out of the fridge. Get a roasting pan or a 9X13 size will work. Butter (1tbsp) the bottom and spread some carrots, celery and onions on the bottom of the pan.
- Melt the remaining 2tbsp butter. Place your chicken on top of the veggies, and tie it up. Tie the legs together, and the wings. (pictured below)
- Spread the melted butter on top of the chicken and sprinkle some pepper to taste.
- Cook for 1 hour on 350.
- When that is done, you will cook it for another hour, however during this hour you will baste the chicken with it's juices from the pan. I baste it every 15-20 minutes.
- Total cook time is 2 hours normally, always check your chicken with a meat thermometer to make sure it reads done.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes before you slice it.
This is the perfect kitchen twine. It has a built in cutter for those who have busy hands preparing food!
This storage container is nice, big and food safe.