I always used to wish I knew how to cook Italian food. It was my favorite type of food growing up that I never really got much of.
Later on in life, I dated a guy who had a huge Italian family. Every Sunday we would have dinner with them and eat a huge helping of Spaghetti or Lasagna.
Although I moved on, I can still smell the aroma of that house on Sunday.
I am happy that I can recreate that smell at my own home.
- 1 lb lasagna noodles (cook according to package or get the no boil noodles- although I use the noodles you are suppose to boil and don't always boil them before hand)
- 1.5 lb ground beef
- 1 lb italian sausage out of the casing
- 1 extra large onion
- 2 28oz whole peeled tomatoes with juices
- 14.5oz diced tomatoes
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 6oz tomato paste
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 3lb ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- Mozzarella for topping
- Cook down ground beef, italian sausage with onions
- Add all ingredients to make the tomato gravy
- Let simmer for about 20 minutes
In a separate bowl, mix cheese mixture
- Put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom
- Finish with sauce on top of noodles and the mozzarella sprinkled on top
I like a nice thick layer of cheese so it will be cheesy and saucy.
Bake covered on 350 for about an hour
You should have some sauce left over to put in your freezer for next time!