miss jones chocolate heart cakes with chocolate mousse
So normally I try to stay away from anything in a box. My children and I have LOTS of allergies. That is the main reason for me not using anything boxed now, however, I stopped using box products many years ago.
I made a decision to try to eat fresh and clean food that wasn't as processed.
Now, I still do use things from time to time because life gets busy and I need a break. We all need a break.
This is why I decided to try Miss Jones products.
Baking is not a strong area for me. A lot of times if we want a sweet, I will order something at the bakery or pick up something at the store. So having a boxed mix of something to just start with is a life saver.
Miss Jones products offer homemade-tasting organic cake, brownie, and cookie mixes as well as frostings.
Everything they make features simple, non-GMO ingredients, no hydrogenated oils or trans fats, and no artificial flavors or colors.
For allergy conscious parents, they offer directions on how to make it dairy free and vegan.
They taste like homemade goodies and I think you will enjoy them as much as my family!
Chocolate mousse filling recipe below
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup bitter-sweet chocolate chips
- 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
- ***Can you use all bitter-sweet or all semi-sweet? Sure! I actually love bittersweet, so ideally I go for all that. But I think for overall and trying to make everyone happy, a half and half mix is best. :)
- Beat eggs with electric mixer on high for about 3 minutes until thickened
- Slowly beat in sugar
- Heat 1 cup of heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until hot (don't boil)
- Gradually stir in hot whipping cream into egg mixture (super slow! as slow as you can)
- Pour mixture back into pan
- Cook on low-medium heat until mixture thickens (about 5 more minutes) Don't stop whisking!
- Once done, chill in the fridge for a few hours until cooled
- Beat 1.5 cups whipping cream with the electric mixer until stiff
- Fold whipped cream into the chocolate mixture until all blended
Directions for making cake mousse bites:
- Make the cake according to the directions on the box
- You can make it in a sheet pan and cut out shapes with cookie cutters OR use an already molded pan with desired shapes
- Let the cake cool
- Scoop some mousse and sandwich it between two of the same shapes