rosemary lemon roasted chicken
I love roasting a chicken. The thing that makes this the best chicken is the brine.
Sitting in that salt water makes for one juicy chicken. The flavors come next. You can make a whole different-tasting roasted chicken by changing up just a few things.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 large potatoes cut into cubes (saving a portion for the neck to be stuffed)
- 2 lemons
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp Crushed rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add brining ingredients
- Let cool by icing down or patiently waiting (I'm not patient! Ice Ice Baby)
- Place chicken in a large container that is big enough to be immersed in the brine
- Pour brine mixture on top of chicken and add water until fully covered
- Let it brine overnight or for 6 hours (minimum)
Cook! Directions are for a 5lb chicken- you may need to adjust the cooking time. Please check internal temp.
- Cook on 350 for 2 hours
- Cut the potatoes into cubes and spread all over the roasting pan (save a little part of the potato to stuff in the neck area of chicken)
- Cut the onion in half, dicing half and placing in the bottom of the roasting pan- save the other half for later
- Cut the lemons in half and squeeze the juice inside of the chicken.
- Stuff the chicken with the lemons
- Take the other half of the onion and stuff in the bottom of the chicken
- Place a part of a potato in the top neck part of the chicken
- Stuffing the potato in the top, and the lemons and onion stuffed in the bottom will help keep the chicken moist while cooking
- Let it go for 1 hour without doing anything
- The second hour baste it every 20 minutes
- When done, allow it to rest for about 20 minutes before cutting it